Thursday 2 May 2013

Mtn Race #2 - Scalp

Wednesday, 1st May 2013 – 12.4km Mtn Race #2 - Scalp
3.2km Warm up
5.8km IMRA Race 2 – Scalp  
3.4km Cool down  


Race number two of the IMRA Leinster League took place just North of Enniskerry on Scalp. The route consisted of a clockwise loop of Carrickgollogan including an up and over of the summit and then a second loop of Barnaslingan, again clockwise. I had covered parts of this route last weekend but mostly in the opposite direction.

I called in to Registration before 7pm and then drove to Enniskerry village to park up. I was using an extra long jog to the start line as my warm-up and to get an extra bit of distance for today’s mileage. It was uphill almost all the way to the race start, over 2 miles away. I was well warmed by the time I reached the start line but there was still 20mins left to wait!


Eventually, a few minutes after 7:30pm, we were given the last bit of advice from the RD Vivian, and we were off. I had made sure to not get stranded too far back as the first section looked quite tight. And so it proved. Only room for a couple of people wide and everyone chomping at the bit to get past each other, eventually it settled down with the odd passing opportunity that managed to appear seized upon. There was a bit of downhill just after we crested which allowed for lots of controlled fun and the opportunity to pass a few more. We then turned a sharp right into a forested section before it opened out to a wider path. Again oportunity to nick a couple of more places but I was passed here by one or two also so no net change.

Another right turn here and we were slowed to a procession up to the peak of Carrickgollogan. Once over the top there was another fast section but a bit too technical for me too let loose so a little more to-ing and fro-ing ocurred. The next km was about as flat as it got (not very!) and allowed for solid running before we were up another hill where I managed to pass a couple more people. Before I knew it we were back out onto the first section again but descending it this time. 


Quickly across the road junction and into Barnaslignan for the smaller second loop. Initially there was a slow climb to the high point before a really fun decent the far side. Conditions were perfect this evening so there were lots of options on the descent. Another couple of positions gained here and I was beginning to think perhaps my descending isn’t really all that bad afterall…I think it’s just the really steep muddy sections where I have to ease off too much. The gentler stuff is fine. I just nipped by a lady runner at the bottom of the slope, but once back on the uphill she passed by me again. I knew the finish couldn’t be too far away but at the same time I was wary of calving half way home so I let her gain a few metres. Then as the climb continued I started reeling her back in and went by her, and then a couple more fellas. I had paced this section pretty well and managed to finish strong up the remainder of the hill and across the line.

Stopped the watch in 30:47 which I was very pleased with as the last time I ran this course I was approx 34:30 so a nice improvement (even allowing for a muddier course last time out). Happy too that the session last night didn’t adversely affect my run too much. All that was left was my easy two mile downhill jog back to the car. Another enjoyable evening in the mountains!

Thursday, 2nd May 2013 – 11.8km Recovery Run 
Very easy recovery run this evening as the legs were playing catch up with the two previous night’s hard sessions.. 

Week 17 Summary (so far):
RTW: 4 from 4 days
DTW: 49.8km
DTY: 1,479.9km

No comments:

Post a Comment